There was an error in this gadget

Welcome

Welcome to my blog. Go ahead and feed the fish, they don't over eat.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

an "I am" poem from freshmen year

An olde thing i found for a class assignment. may have been fill in the blank...

I am here and there
Lost and found
so and so
I wonder if
I will ever finish my ideas
my stories
or if I’ll ever
finish anything…

I hear many people who sought it out, the peace of mind-
the stuff of living, the stuff of dying- people who wanted
so badly, so much, each fad as quick in succession as the
curling surf- the waves- and as repetitive as the tides.

I see them
Forgetting all that,
Forsaking that irrational bond
between them and their acclaimed
oasis of joy-their paradise in technicality.

I want to be happy
And to make others so.
That’s all.

I am confused;
I fail to see why that should seem wrong,
why my way of sorting affairs
should seem so taboo,
why theirs is so
acceptable, even
though it is
a curio
itself
beyond
comprehension.

I pretend to see them
all as children,
their ‘inner-child’
or form of innocence.
A form of simple joy.

I feel better then. They, after all, are just children.
They, after all, are afraid too.

I touch their insecurities. Funny.
They feel the same as mine.

I worry that I’ll never find peace, but even so,
isn’t the effort worth something in itself?

I cry for the lost ones,
And those who remain
ignored. The ‘Save-
the-Earth’s,
the ‘Free-Tibet’s
the ‘Save-
Darfur’s
and the
others.
Those people
who fight for a cause.

I am trying to convince myself.
No cause is lost.

I understand that life’s not fair-
I never said it was.

I will say what I must,
but people can be hard to connect to.
We all know it’s true.

People never listen.
Almost never, anyway.

I dream to share the dream.
The dream offers more comfort
than the mirage.
Comfort that cannot be acquired
within the padded walls of
a distorted reality like that which
was created.
We created.
A reality that
was not loveless, at one time.

But times are hard.

I am here.
I am looking.
I am hoping…

Maybe it’ll find me first.

After all, no cause is lost.

2 comments:

Lucie Roberts said...

Thats an incredible I am poem Amy! You did that as a Freshman in highschool?! 80

time-travelling lackey said...

most excellent excellence! most thoughtful- no wonder your english teachers love you so much!